Friday, July 17, 2009

The Hall Farm, Hallsboro, NC



A crummy photo, I know.

This is a painting of the house that hangs in our kitchen, done by a Maud Wyche, not sure when but it's always been hanging up, at least 40 years.

This is the farm that my family owned for generations. It's presently on the register of historic places. It passed from our possession in the 1980s. I remember going there at one point to help move furniture and empty the house after the last owner died, my great uncle, John Formy-Duval, husband of my grandmother Virginia's sister, Elsie. The oldest parts of the house are said to date to the 18th century.

My mother, her brother, her cousins and parents spent a lot of time here, visiting with Jennie Farley Hall and her husband John William Hall II (my great grandparents).

It was a fully running farm - tobacco, potatoes, peanuts, etc. My mother said there was a large pulling mule named Lil that was used to plow the rows.

This is my grandmother Virginia Florence Hall, c. 1920s, as a girl on the farm.


This is my grandmother outside the Hall farm with my uncle John Hall Turner, c. early 1940s. (I remember surviving the summer by parking under trees a lot, too. )

This is also John playing around in a goat cart with one of the farm hands, c. 1940s. That's the house behind them.

And here we have just a random floppy-eared pig on the farm getting some good eats. Fatten up, pig! We're gonna eat you!

3 comments:

  1. What is it with goat carts?
    About two and a half miles away down dirt roads through the woods (on the Honeyhill Road), my Grandaddy George Frink set my father George Frink up with one and a rather lovely cart when father was of preschool age. Before 1940.
    Your cousin and my grandmother Elvah Jackson Frink recalls how they brought the little goat inside and it jumped from one piece of furniture to another, finally breaking the glass on her best coffee table.
    Finally because she caught the sweet little beast and put him/her outside.
    My father bought goats for my first cousin Betsy Adams and me when Betsy and I were three years old or thereabouts.
    Betsy's was a nanny and lived to be very old. She was still alive when I went off the NCSU, where I was a freshman the last time I saw your mother.
    Mine was a billy.
    He reached adolescence and began butting everything that moved, tractors included.
    He knocked my father flat of his face one morning and that was the end of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! Oh no! Poor Billy! He was a rampage machine, bless him! I really feel as if I missed out on something not having a little goat springing around my living room!

      Delete
  2. Hi! late post; I just found your blog. I was in school with Johnny and Bill and well remember everyone who was in the house then, except for Ms. Jennie, who was older and in a different church. Of course I knew Jan and I remember your mother. The house is wonderful! I don't live in N.C. now but admire it each time I pass. I know Geo. F., who posted in; at least I think I do. We called him by his nickname then. And I remember the Maud W. who did the painting, which you're so lucky to have. She was Ms. Elsie's gen and her husband was "old" H'boro, but you probably know that. Great to know something about you. Jan looked exactly like that picture of your mother! I'm Susan from Lake W. and your mom would know me. Good wishes!

    ReplyDelete