Friday, July 17, 2009

Jennie Eulara Farley Hall, b. 1888, Jackson's Crossing, NC


Born 24 May 1888, Jackson's Crossing, Columbus Co., NC; died Apr 1974, Hallsboro, NC.

This photo was one of three discovered recently in an old chest belonging to my grandmother, Virginia Florence Hall, eldest daughter of Jennie. She's holding Virginia in the picture (c. 1908).

She was born in an area called Jacksons Crossing, a tiny place between Hallsboro and Whiteville, NC. She completed high school in Hallsboro, NC, held Sunday dinners and bridge parties all the time (Mom remembers seeing and hearing her laugh a lot in company which was a strong juxtaposition of the tough, "my way or the highway" everyday woman she was.)

Jennie died after both siblings (James and Chester), her husband and her daughters; Mom said that she was devastated to lose Elsie and when Virginia died, it seemed to finally break her. She came up to Raleigh for the memorial service at 1st Presbyterian Church (the church I grew up in where my grandfather, Fred Turner worked as custodian). Jennie spoke of her dead brother Chester frequently and very sadly, as if she had had a particularly strong attachment to him.

She never learned to drive and spent almost her entire life on the Hall farm.

5 comments:

  1. My grandmother was Elvah Jackson from Jackson's crossing. How are we both related to Joseph Alford Jackson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting, Jean! It appears that your grandmother Elvah is my first cousin. My grandmother Virginia Hall would be related to Joseph Alford Jackson as his great grand niece. Our common ancestor is James A. Jackson and Elizabeth Fairless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the Jackson brothers moved his turpentine still to Columbus County and the other two came to work with him. You probably know Jackson's Crossing was so named because of the distillery. Their still was the latest and greatest technology of that time. I'm George Frink, Elvah Jackson's only grandson. Billy Formyduval and I graduated from high school together I I knew Miss Jennie (as we called her) very well. She was a bright light in my life and I think in the lives of everyone who knew her. Great Uncle Fulton Jackson (one of Elvah's brothers) told me that that before moving to Columbus County the Jackson brothers were Wesleyan Methodists and thus abolitionists. Memommy (my name for Elvah) agreed. There are of course a great many variants of abolitionism. All three brothers fought in and survived the Civil War. One (from whom I am descended) came home a major but refused to join the KKK. Your Hall ancestors had similar views. I talked to Bill about it not long ago but I'm looking for more information. Can you help me?

      Delete
    2. I will certainly help you if I can! It's so wonderful to meet someone who knew her. I never got that honor.

      Delete
  3. You and I are cousins via the common Jackson ancestor who we agree was married to Elizabeth Fairless. He died as a result of Parkinson's Disease and it has afflicted every generation of his descendants from that one until and including mine. If you have evidence that James A. Jackson is our common ancestor, please email it to me and gwfrink3@gmail.com ... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete