Friday, July 17, 2009

Margaret Hall Merritt's house, Hallsboro, NC


Yes, I know. Another crummy photo. (I'll replace it soon).

This is W. E. and Margaret Jane Hall Merritt's house, built to his orders across the way from the Hall farm, c. 1910. I was also present for the clearing of this house upon Margaret's death. Among other things, I remember a big spinning wheel on the stair landing and dead mice in odd places. My grandmother Virginia Hall had her wedding photos taken in this house, before a fireplace in the dining room.

Margaret Jane Hall was my great grand aunt, daughter of William Thomas Hall (b. 1846) the first temporary mayor of Hallsboro, and his wife, Florence Eugenia Meares (b. 1859).

3 comments:

  1. She wrote a poem about the spotted mule one of the Jackson women owned. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rio,
    I believe we're kin, and found you while googling about Hallsboro. My grandfather was Benjamin Hall Merritt, Margaret Jane Hall's son. I came to Hallsboro as a young child to help clear out a home after the death of a relative named Margaret, but I don't know who. (There are so many of us in the family! I'm one of them!) This was sometime in the 80's. The house was set far back from the road, and it was said that the woman who lived in the house once shot her own cow whose name was Clark Gable. Do you know anything of this story? Wishing you well! -Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MRV, I'm your cousin too, and I really want to get in touch somehow. Your mother was MME? She dedicated her book to my mother. I grew up in Hallsboro, but now live near Washington, DC. I'll look for a reply here, and you could send a note to MWM at 1665 Red Bug Road, Hallsboro, 28442. Hope to hear from you!

      Delete